Why and How Automation??
1. Before starting Automation, ask yourself what is your goal? Is it to reduce regression cycle or to reduce technical debt (In sprint Automation) or to enable continuous testing.
2. Once your goal is decided, check who should participate and to what extent? (Product owners, Dev, QA)
3. Communicate your goal to every team member. Everyone should be aware of what we are going to accomplish.
4. Decide your execution strategy. When and how these cases will be executed?
– Anytime you want? (Locally)
– Multiple times a day? (Separate build)
– When new code checked in? (Developer build)
5. Choose your tool very wisely. Don’t go by vague idea to pick only open-source tools, maintenance and triaging will be a huge task if you don’t have coding knowledge.
6. Choose at what level you want to automate. Unit, Services or UI.
7. Future proof your test automation. Since starting only design your framework in such a way that later you can run on Multiple environments, diff browsers, and parallel execution.
8. Test automation is itself a development project so maintain the highest coding standards, choose a clean coding style, choose appropriate design patterns.